Governor Cuomo Tells Con Edison, Union To End Lockout
Gov. Andrew Cuomo is warning Con Edison and its union to end their labor dispute and lockout now, or each will be held accountable for any power losses.
The governor who had inserted himself into a New York City taxi cab dispute last year said the lockout since June 30 threatens power to millions of New Yorkers during a long, hot summer.
Cuomo called for a quick end to the dispute. He said the state Public Service Commission can act, but only in a “severe event” that threatens safety and service.
At an assembly hearing, Con Edison VP John Miksad defended the company, saying it decided on the lockout not to help the company, but for the safety of workers.
“The best analogy I can use is the crew leaving the cockpit while the plane’s in flight. We cannot have that situation,” he told reporters, including 1010 WINS’ Carol D’Auria.
Miksad testified the lockout could end immediately if the union would simply agree to give 72 hours notice if it intends to strike.
However, Harry Farrell, the president of the union, was very clear on where he stood, saying he wouldn’t agree to it.
The Con Ed workers were locked out on June 30 after their contract expired and negotiations over a new one failed. About 5,000 managers are keeping electricity going for 3.2 million customers in New York City and Westchester County.